As President, Joe Biden has taken a number of steps to support and advance the rights of the LGBTQ+ community. Some of the key actions he has taken include:
- Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation: On his first day in office, President Biden signed an executive order that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing, and other areas. The order also directs the Department of Health and Human Services to review and consider reversing the Trump administration’s “conscience rule” that allowed healthcare providers to refuse to provide services to LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Protecting Transgender Students: President Biden has directed the Department of Education to take steps to protect transgender students in schools, including by issuing guidance to schools on how to comply with Title IX, which prohibits sex discrimination in education.
- Repeal of the “Mexico City Policy”: President Biden has taken steps to repeal the so-called “Mexico City Policy” which bans US foreign aid from going to any organizations that provide or promote abortion services.
- Allowing Transgender Americans to Serve in the Military: President Biden has signed a memorandum directing the Secretary of Defense to take steps to allow transgender Americans to serve in the military.
- Appointing a diverse and inclusive cabinet: President Biden has appointed a diverse and inclusive cabinet, including several LGBTQ+ individuals. He also appointed Pete Buttigieg, a gay man, as Secretary of Transportation, making him the first openly gay person to be confirmed by the Senate for a Cabinet position.
- Advancing the Equality Act: President Biden has strongly supported the Equality Act, which would provide federal protections for LGBTQ+ individuals in areas such as housing, employment, and public accommodations. He has urged Congress to pass the bill and has pledged to sign it into law if it reaches his desk.
These are some of the key actions President Biden has taken to support and advance the rights of the LGBTQ+ community. He continues to work towards more protections for the community and to make sure everyone is treated with dignity and respect.